This is an informal rundown of what happened at the January 16, 2024 Bulloch County Board of Commissioners meeting.
Call to Order, Welcome Media and Visitors
Invocation and Pledge
Roll Call – Commissioner Anthony Simmons was absent
Approval of General Agenda
Commissioners voted to vote on all Consent Agenda items as a single item.
The vote was unanimous.
- Minutes of Dec 19, 2023 8:30 AM
- Minutes of Jan 2, 2024 5:30 PM
- Motion to Approve Sole Source Purchase of Cool Deck Concrete Sealer and Supplies
- It is the recommendation of Alex Estrada, Aquatics Division Manager to purchase Cool Deck Concrete Sealer and Supplies to paint the decks at Splash in the Boro. This is the same type of sealer/paint that has been used to paint annually, but we have had a problem in getting since 2020. This product is available from our local Sherwin Williams with a quoted price of $24,908.88.
- Motion to Approve a Microsoft License Upgrade for the Recorder AIS System
- The county is currently in the middle of a required, radio system wide software upgrade. For the new software to work with our login recorder, we must upgrade the recorders’ Microsoft license. The software upgrade was a planned and budgeted expense. The license upgrade for the recorder was not. The county was not made aware of the need for this license upgrade ahead of time or it would have budgeted.
- Request approval to purchase the needed Microsoft license upgrade for the telephone and radio recorder.
- Motion to approve the purchase of Firestone Tires for fleet maintenance
- NFPA 1911 recommends that all apparatus tires shall be in service no longer than 7 years before replacement. As such, the county is requesting a bulk purchase of Firestone tires from Mosley Tire to replace tires for 9 apparatus. The county is replacing apparatus with 16 ply rating tires of appropriate size for each apparatus. The county is requesting the purchase of qty. 12 – 11R22.5 Firestone FS561 steer tires ($4,318.80) and qty. 6 – 12R22.5 FS561 steer tires ($2,399.94) , as well as qty. 36 – FD663 drive tires ($14,399.64) for a total amount of $21,172.38. They will be delivered to the Bulloch County Shop and tires will be installed locally.
- Motion to Approve the Purchase of a Gas Convection Oven for BCCI
- Staff are requesting the approval of the purchase of a new gas convection oven for the Bulloch County Correctional Institute facility. The replacement is needed due to portions of the current oven being inoperable and aged. The current oven is 15 years old and in constant need of repairs. BCCI would like to replace the tilt skillet due to currently operating on one tilt skillet and needing two to provide for the jail and prison population. Three quotes were received. We request approval of purchase of the lowest quote from Stafford-Smith totalling $38,610.93. Staff recommends approval of purchase.
- Motion to Approve the Purchase of a 2023 Ford F-450 4X4 Ambulance from Ten-8 Fire and Safety LLC
- EMS request Board approval for the purchase of a 2023 Ford F-450 4×4 ambulance chassis with Braun remount in the amount of two hundred forty five thousand dollars and zero cents ($245,000). The ambulance will be paid for by SPLOST funds already set aside for ambulance procurement. This is sole source request.
- Motion to grant a 2024 alcoholic beverage renewal license for package retail beer and wine sales to certain establishments with a current 2023 license
- Motion to Grant Approval of a Special Event Permit submitted by Zach VanOtteren of Kennedy Pond Conservancy for February 3, 2024
- The event will be held on February 3, 2024 during the hours of 10 AM- 10:30 PM. All required documents have been provided. Approval is recommended
Motion to Award Workforce Development Study Project to MGT of America Consulting, LLC
On November 9, 2023, Bulloch County issued an RFP seeking proposals for a Workforce Development Study. Seven proposals were received and opened on December 7, 2023.
Responding vendors provided information about their experience, qualifications, and approach to the project, along with proposed pricing for both a Basic Scope of Work and for potential additional project activities. Prices for the Basic Scope of Work ranged from $34,000 to $867,900.
All proposals were evaluated in terms of responsiveness, qualifications, approach to the project, and cost. Two finalists were selected and asked to complete oral presentations to further demonstrate their capabilities of performing the contract and their understanding of the County’s project goals.
After considering all available information, the staff review team recommends that the project be awarded to MGT of America Consulting, LLC (“MGT”). MGT has extensive experience performing organizational assessments, succession plans, operational reviews, performance audits, strategic planning, and project implementation. In addition, MGT has significant public sector expertise.
The project cost will be $243,970, which is within the FY2024 budget set for this project, and will consist of all items in the Basic Scope of Work as listed in the RFP. This will include a current workforce analysis, future workforce needs forecast, and establishment of workforce performance metrics.
Staff respectfully requests and recommends your award of the project to MGT for the price of $243,970. Following your approval, a written agreement (subject to review by and approval of the County Attorney) will be executed.
Motion made by Mosley, seconded by Deal. Approved unanimously.
TGV has requested a copy of the draft contract.
Discussion of Langston Chapel Road at Lanier Drive Intersection
Discussion of Langston Chapel Road at Lanier Drive Intersection to address current and upcoming traffic issues. Installation of round-about and detoured traffic merits discussion and possible future action to accommodate traffic temporarily during construction.
Approval of a Memorandum of Understanding with Pond and Company for a Master Facilities Plan
On November 9, 2023, Bulloch County issued an RFP seeking proposals for a Master Facilities Plan. Six proposals were received on December 7, 2023. Three were disqualified due to a combination of late receipt or missing mandatory forms. Responding vendors provided information about their experience, qualifications, and approach to the project, along with proposed pricing for both a Basic Scope of Work and for potential additional project activities. Prices for the Basic Scope of Work ranged from $287,950 to $816,179. All proposals were evaluated in terms of responsiveness, qualifications, approach to the project, and cost. Two finalists were selected and asked to complete oral presentations to further demonstrate their capabilities of performing the contract and their understanding of the County's project goals. After considering all available information, the staff review team recommends that the project be awarded to Pond and Company. Pond and Company has extensive experience performing facilities plans and has significant public sector expertise. They also have a branch office in Savannah This will include a comprehensive analysis of 67 existing buildings consisting of over 500,000 square feet (except for the Public Safety and Public Works Complex on US 301N which is under review with another firm). The plan will also consider future space needs. A 10-year plan and priority list will be developed for existing and future facilities. Staff respectfully requests and recommends your award of the project to Pond for the price of $287,950. Following your approval, a written agreement (subject to review by and approval of the County Attorney) will be executed.
TGV has requested a copy of the MOU.
Motion to approve made by Deal and approved unanimously.
Lucia Burgess Hurst
Commission and Staff Comments
Executive Session (Personnel)
Commissioners adjourned regular session to enter into Executive Session at 10:09 a.m.