(The Center Square) – College athletes will now be able to compete in events through the end of the spring sports season without worrying about the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s policy related to transferring a second time after the parties in a lawsuit agreed to turn a 14-day temporary restraining order into a preliminary injunction.
A Friday filing in U.S. District Court in West Virginia said that the NCAA and the seven states, with Ohio as the lead plaintiff, agreed to turn the judge’s TRO into a preliminary injunction until the case can be heard following the 2023-24 sports seasons.
“This is a big win in the fight for student-athletes like RaeQuan Battle of West Virginia University to play in the sport they love,” said West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey. “This is all about the student-athletes who were sidelined with the NCAA’s onerous transfer rule, freeing them to pursue their passion and excel in their collegiate experience.”
The antitrust lawsuit is led by Ohio with West Virginia serving as local counsel in the case along with Tennessee, North Carolina, Illinois, Colorado and New York.
Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost previously sent a letter to the NCAA challenging the waiver denial of Aziz Bandaogo, a 7-foot center who wanted to play basketball at the University of Cincinnati.
Morrisey made a similar appeal after the NCAA denied Battle from competing for the West Virginia University basketball team.
The TRO and injunction also prohibits the NCAA from enforcing its Restitution Rule, which can take away wins, statistics and other benefits.
“Collegiate athletes deserve to know that they can play while our lawsuit challenging the transfer eligibility rule continues,” said Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul said. “I filed this lawsuit to bring fairness to collegiate sports and ensure the needs of athletes and their families are prioritized and respected.”