Rome High School students received recognition for outstanding Advanced Placement (AP) scores this week.
Rome High School has 109 total AP scholars on the 2022 roster.
- 58 – AP Scholars
- 29 – AP Scholars with Honors
- 22 – AP Scholars with Distinction
In addition, RHS also awarded one student with an AP International Diploma.
According to apcentral.collegeboard.org, “Students don’t need to apply for the APID; it’s automatically awarded in the year all eligibility requirements are met. The College Board notifies students by email after the award has been conferred. Students may self-print an APID certificate from AP Scores. School administrators with access to AP Scores for Educators may identify APID students using the AP Scholars Report.”
Criteria for an APID includes:
- Students must score a 3 or higher on 5 or more AP Exams.
- Exams taken multiple times only count once—the highest score will be used for award calculation.
- Students must attend a school outside the U.S. or U.S. territories, or
- Students attending a school within the U.S., U.S. territories or the DoDEA network must send AP score(s) to a university outside the U.S.
The Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered at Rome High are certified through the College Board, and students who take those courses are given the opportunity to complete a test at the end of the course for the possibility of earning college credit before they leave high school. It is not required that students who participate in an Advanced Placement course take the corresponding AP exam because each student is still receiving high school credit regardless. However, to receive college credit, students must take the final AP exam and pass with a certain score (dependent on each university’s requirements)
There are five categories of Advanced Placement Exam scholars:
- General AP Scholar: granted to students who receive scores of three or higher on three or more AP Exams.
- AP Scholar with Honor: granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of three or higher on four or more AP Exams taken.
- AP Scholar with Distinction: granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of three or higher on five or more of these exams.
- National AP Scholar: granted to students in the United States who receive an average score of at least four on all AP Exams taken, and scores of four or more on eight or more of these exams.
- AP International Diploma (APID): globally recognized certificate awarded to students who display exceptional achievement across a variety of disciplines. Available to international students attending secondary schools outside the U.S. and to U.S. high school students applying to universities outside the country, the APID certifies outstanding academic excellence with a global perspective. Students must take any two (2) eligible AP world language or English exams if the exams are across two different languages with a score of three or higher.