The Parent Advisory Council will meet three times this year with Superintendent Woods to discuss education issues in Georgia. Their primary focus will be increasing parent and family engagement to ensure student success.
“Parents are an irreplaceable part of our education system,” Superintendent Woods said. “It’s critical that I receive their direct feedback on state policies and decisions. Year after year, the Parent Advisory Council is an invaluable resource for me. I congratulate the new members and look forward to working with them in the year ahead.”
The State School Superintendent’s Parent Advisory Council is a group of parents from across the state who provide input on new policies, projects, and materials that impact students and their families. Members serve as advisors and meet with the Superintendent several times throughout their two-year term.
In addition to sharing feedback, members of the Superintendent’s Parent Advisory Council share the information they learn with other families, serving as advisors and ambassadors in their respective communities.
Parents are nominated to serve on the Parent Advisory Council by their local school districts at the beginning of each school year. A principal of a Georgia Title I school may nominate a parent to represent the school and the district. Only one nomination per school district is accepted. Members are chosen based on their capacity to lead, current levels of involvement in their child’s school, and responses to application questions.
The first meeting will take place in October.
2023-2024 Parent Advisory Council Members
*Denotes new member.
- Kristina Reinhard, Baldwin County*
- Sharon Viktora, Bartow County
- Melissa Stalvey, Brooks County
- Kathleen Reihing, Camden County
- Erin Laporte, Cherokee County*
- Julie Savina, Columbia County
- Carly Force, Coweta County
- Jawanda Brown, Dublin City
- Heather Fish, Effingham County
- Rose Schueneman, Fannin County
- Rebekah Miller, Foothills Charter High School
- Sonya McCoy-Wilson, Fulton County
- Tiffany Watson, Gilmer County*
- Jennifer Sarec, Gwinnett County*
- Ana Lugo, Hall County*
- Rachel Schory, Heard County*
- Bridget Tomlinson, Lanier County*
- Sandra Spivey, Marion County*
- Lillian Bryan, Meriwether County*
- Alyssa Peters, Monroe County
- Denise Cambridge, Muscogee County*
- Katherine Ficklin, Peach County*
- Marquita Brown, Richmond County
- Maribeth Futral, Rome City
- Estelle Brock, Seminole County*
- Mary Eubanks, Taliaferro County
- Danniell Slocumb, Thomas County
- LaToya Ross, Webster County