Contractors for the Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT) will continue construction activities related to the I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project next week in Macon-Bibb County. Weather permitting, the scheduled activities beginning Sunday, May 24, 2021 through Sunday, May 30, 2021 are listed below.
Ongoing, Long-term Closures:
- The dedicated right turn lane on the I-16 eastbound off-ramp to Spring Street will remain closed through the spring of 2021.
- The permanent lane closure on Coliseum Drive/Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard southbound between Clinton Street to Riverside Drive; southbound traffic in that area is currently reduced to one lane.
- The far right lane of I-75 northbound at the Georgia 19/Georgia Avenue exit (exit 164) is closed to traffic for several months.
- Spring Street’s far right lane at the I-16 westbound on-ramp as well as the right-hand on-ramp to I-16 westbound are both closed for several months; the Spring Street on-ramp to I-16 westbound has been relocated to the far left lane.
Construction Activities for May 24-30, weather and on-site conditions permitting:
Phase 2 and 3: I-75 from Hardeman Avenue to I-16 eastbound
- Crews continue construction of the Riverside Bridge superstructure over I-75 and the Walnut Street bridge stage two superstructure;
- Continue construction of the superstructure for new I-75 northbound and southbound bridges;
- Continue construction of the substructure for new I-75 northbound and southbound bridges;
- Continue demolition and removal of the existing I-16 westbound and I-75 northbound and southbound bridges;
- Construction of MSE (retaining) walls along I-75 northbound and southbound and at other locations throughout the project continues;
- Construction of concrete sound and visual walls along I-75 northbound and southbound continues;
- Continue demolition of the concrete pavement on the left lane on I-75 southbound from the Riverside Drive bridge to the Hardeman Avenue bridge;
- Continue demolition of the existing pavement on the left lanes of I-75 northbound from Hardeman Avenue to north of the Riverside Bridge;
- Continue grading subgrade and placing gravel mixture in the median of I-75 northbound and southbound from Hardeman Avenue to Riverside Drive and from the new I-16 westbound ramp to the new I-75 southbound ramp; and
- Continue grading the embankment for the new I-75 southbound exit ramp to the new I-16 eastbound entrance ramp.
Phase 1: I-16 from the I-16/ I-75 split to the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard exit
- Crews continue work on the superstructure for the bridge along I-16 eastbound near Spring Street;
- Construction continues on the superstructure for the new I-16 eastbound bridge over the Ocmulgee River;
- Construction continues on the second stage of the new Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard bridge over the Ocmulgee River;
- Construction continues on the new I-16 eastbound bridge superstructure over Norfolk Southern Railroad;
- Construction continues on the superstructure for the new I-16 eastbound bridge over Spring Street;
- Construction continues on MSE (retaining) walls along I-16 eastbound between Spring Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard; and
- Continue grading the I-16 eastbound exit ramp to Spring Street.
The I-16/I-75 Interchange Improvement Project is a $500 million safety and mobility megaproject. With its massive scope to widen and reconstruct I-16, I-75 and their interchange in Macon-Bibb County, this project is being delivered in seven design and construction phases that will continue through 2030. When complete, new CD lanes, additional interstate lanes, new interstate on-and off-ramps, upgrades to 11 bridges, new walls, upgraded drainage systems, etc. will deliver safer and improved mobility for Macon-Bibb County’s local commuters and businesses, regional travelers and commercial freight from the Georgia southern coast to destinations within the state and throughout the U.S.