Call to Order, Welcome Media and Visitors
Invocation and Pledge
Roll Call – All Commissioners were present
Approval of General Agenda
All items on the consent agenda were voted on with a single vote and approved unanimously.
- Approval request for the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Grant for the District Attorney’s Office for $108,642
- The District Attorney’s Office was selected to receive $108,642 in federal funds with a base waived match funds in the amount of $27,161.
- Motion to approve Bulloch Solutions Fiber Installation and Directional Bore Project at Splash in the Boro and Mill Creek Regional Park
- Bulloch Solutions is our current fiber provider / installer at Mill Creek and Splash in the Boro. This project is for a fiber directional bore and install for extension of internet and internet-utilizing technology inside the entire park, especially to the concessions area for revenue purposes. As the park has grown, technology was not installed at the time to make this possible.
- Bulloch Solutions has submitted a cost for this project of $78,591. This project is budgeted in the FY23 CIP schedule – Project ID SPLA01 & SPLA02. Approval of this sole source project was recommended.
- Motion to Receive Service from Southern Asbestos Abatement Co., Inc in the total of $22,915.00.
- An old structure on the PW property is in need of asbestos abatement. Cost of abatement is $22,915.00. View the asbestos analysis.
- Motion to Approve the purchase of a Ventilation System Upgrade from J.D.’s Heating and Air in the amount of $43,634.00.
- Capital Expense Allocation to upgrade and /redesign the Animal Shelter kennel exhaust system and climate control.
- Motion to approve a contract for Splash in the Boro Summer Marketing/Media purchases through Davis Marketing Company
- Splash in the Boro Waterpark & Aquatics Center utilizes an outsourced marketing company for summer advertising and marketing. Davis Marketing Company (DMC) would consult and manage all of the Splash in the Boro media including social media, traditional media, and more. They also would design brochures, flyers, email blasts, and tv/radio commercials to boost attendance for the 2023 season. Also included in the contract is the Advertising Buy Plan. This is the amount that DMC would pay to thirdparty advertising media for spots on their station/websites. This is a direct buy, no percentage of this is kept by DMC, it is paid directly to the vendors through DMC. The total of this contract is $23,346 and is budgeted in the Splash in the Boro Advertising budget.
- Motion to approve Zambelli Fireworks Manufacturing Company renewal contract for Firecracker Fest on July 1, 2023
- Motion to Re-Appointment Kelly Barnard to the Southeast Georgia Regional Radio Network (SEGARRN) board.
- Motion to Approve the Purchase of Twenty 20-Yard Roll Off Containers from Wastequip for a Total of $110.984.00.
- To grant an alcoholic beverage license for retail beer and wines sales to Four Square Circle, LLC located at 4643 Hwy. 25
Motion to approve Accountability Court to submit FY2024 Grant Applications for Ogeechee JC Mental Health Court & Drug Court
Ogeechee Judicial Circuit Drug Court and Mental Health Court’s Request to apply for FY2024 Grants (Drug court Grant Amount $304,568.00 and Mental Health Court Grant Amount $192,487.00). Both Grants have a 12% Match requirement. The amounts are roughly the same as what was requested in FY 2023.
Superior Court Judge Muldrew presented to the commissioners attesting that currently 56 defendants are within the accountability courts with a handful of recent graduates.
The request was approved unanimously by commissioners.
Resolution to appoint Lawton Sack to fill the unexpired term of Hadley Campbell on the Bulloch County Board of Elections and Registration beginning on April 1, 2023 and ending on December 31, 2025
The current term of Hadley Campbell on the Board of Elections and Registration expires on December 31, 2025; however, Mr. Campbell has submitted his resignation effective March 31, 2023. Lawton Sack has agreed to serve out the remainder of Mr. Campbell’s unexpired term. The resolution will appoint Mr. Sack to serve out the remainder of Mr. Campbell’s unexpired term commencing on April 1, 2023 and ending on December 31, 2025.
Read the resolution here.
The Commissioners approved this measure unanimously.
Approve a Memorandum of Understanding by and among the Development Authority of Bulloch County and Ecoplastic America Corp.
The Development Authority has entered into an MOU with Ecoplastic America Corp. for the location of a project in Bulloch County. The project is a manufacturing facility for the manufacture of automotive exterior and interior parts including bumpers, garnishes, consoles and trims for electric vehicles. The Development Authority and Ecoplastic America Corp. are the parties to the MOU, but the Board of Commissioners and Board of Tax Assessors have been requested to acknowledge the MOU and agree to applicable provisions. As an inducement for location of the project in Bulloch County, the MOU includes a 100% abatement of County ad valorem taxes for 10 years and a 50% abatement for an additional 5 years. The tax abatement does not include school taxes or taxes for the County’s fire district. Approval by staff was recommended.
The abatement was approved unanimously.
Approve a Change Order in the amount of $158,802.36 with Mill Creek Construction for material cost increases and additional work on the Hood Road Project. Project is funded by TSPLOST.
Statesboro City Councilwoman Shari Barr was present to address commission members.
Commission & Staff Comments