East Georgia State College’s (EGSC) Annual Family and Friends Fun Day is returning this year on Saturday, September 24! The event will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. on the campus of EGSC-Swainsboro. The Bobcat Regatta will begin at 11 a.m. EGSC faculty, staff, students, and the community are invited to enjoy the free event.
The event will offer fun for the whole family including bounce houses, rock climbing, games, and the Bobcat Regatta. The Bobcat Regatta is a competition made up of teams who build boats out of cardboard and duct tape – nothing else! Awards will be given to the overall team that crosses Ezra Pond the fastest. A Titanic Award will be given to the team whose boat sinks the most dramatically, and the Most Creative Award will be given to the team the judges believe have the most creative boat. This year a high school category has been added. Area high schools are invited to create a duct tape boat for a chance to race against other high schools. High schools are allowed to have multiple groups compete from their school.
Bobcat Regatta Rules:
- Boats must be made of nothing but flat cardboard and duct tape and have a bottom and sides – no paddleboards!
- Teams are allowed to have 4 max members the day of the race.
- Team members must be at both sides of the pond to help launch the boat and pull it back out again, and participants must use oars and life jackets provided by EGSC.
- The award for the fastest and overall winner of the race will be calculated by timed heats. The boat that makes it across in the fastest time will be the winner.
- The Titanic Award will be judged by a panel of judges. The award will go to the boat that sinks the most dramatically.
- The award for Most Creative will be determined by the panel of judges.
- The high school award will be given to the high school group that makes in across the pond in the fastest time. If no team makes it across the pond, the judges will determine the winner.
- Teams must sign up by the deadline to be entered into the competition.
- The Regatta will begin at 11 a.m. Teams must arrive by 10:30 a.m. to check in and prepare for the race.
The deadline to sign up for the Bobcat Regatta is September 10, 2022! Email Veronica Cheers at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or visit ega.edu/events/fun-day/ to sign up.
A sidewalk chalk art contest will also be held during the event. Participants may begin working on their designated area at 9 a.m. the day of the event. All drawing must stop by 1 p.m. for judging. Winners of the competition will be selected by a panel of judges. Participant’s drawing must consist entirely of chalk (please no paint, oil pastels, or other material). To enter, please register before the event with Desmal Purcell by emailing email@example.com.
For more information about EGSC’s Family and Friends Fun Day, visit ega.edu/events/fun-day/. EGSC looks forward to seeing everyone at the event!
by Harley Strickland Smith