Here’s an informal rundown of what happened at the May 16 Bulloch County Commission meeting.
Call to Order, Welcome Media and Visitors
Invocation and Pledge
Roll Call – All Commissioners were present.
Approval of General Agenda
Items on the consent agenda were voted on in one vote. The approval was unanimous.
- Minutes of May 2, 2023 5:30 PM
- Executive Session Minutes of May 2, 2023 5:30 PM
- UPS yearly service and support contract.
- This is the yearly contract for the UPS units at the 4 radio tower sites and 911.
- View proposal and contract
- Authorize a letter of transmittal for nominees to Seat 2-A and Seat 2-B to be appointed by the Hospital Authority Board of Directors. Seat 2-A Nominees: Brannen Smith, Gary Mikell and Paula Mooney. Seat 2-B Patricia Hunter, Brannen Smith, Gary Mikell and Paula Mooney
- To approve the re-appointments of Billy Allen, Paul Roesel and Greg Proctor to the Development Authority of Bulloch County to serve terms beginning July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2027
- Board members are selected an appointed by the Board of Commissioners to serve four year staggered terms
- Request from Benjy Thompson
- Approve the re-appointment of John Cheek to the Coastal Workforce Development Board to serve a term beginning July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2026.
- The Coastal Workforce Development Board requested the reappointment of Coastal Workforce Development Board (CWDB) Member John Cheek of Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency to fill one Economic Development Representative vacancy for a three year term ending June 30, 2026. This action allows the CWDB to be certified by its governing agency, the Technical College System of Georgia. Under WIOA, all Chief/Local Elected Officials must affirm all re/appointments under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014 regulations.
Proclamation Presentation to Public Works as First Responders
Public Works requested on March 21, 2023 that the Board of Commissioners approve their office staff be recognized in Bulloch County as First Responders due to their involvement in emergency response situations and assistance provided to Law Enforcement, Fire Department and EMS
Presentation and report to Commissioners on recent demonstration of Crafco Mastic street repair.
Motion to Submit Notice of Non-Renewal to Benefits Planning Consultants, Inc.
Since 2020, Benefits Planning Consultants, Inc. (BPC) has served as the County’s vendor for the administration of employee Flexible Spending Accounts. The “Provider Services Agreement” with BPC renews on July 1st each year, unless written notice of non-renewal is delivered to the vendor at least 30 days in advance. Because staff is recommending a change in vendors for the upcoming plan year, the Board’s authorization to prepare and submit a notice of non-renewal is requested.
Motion to Approve Resolutions and Documents Necessary to End the Current Employee Retirement Plan and Replace with a Defined Benefit Plan Effective July 1, 2023
Approval of these documents will formally replace the current Defined Contribution Plan with a Defined Benefit Plan effective July 1, 2023
Read the contract with ACCG – Outlines the specific details necessary for administration of the new defined benefit plan
Plan Amendment Details – Addresses special situations not already covered in the Adoption Agreement (e.g., delayed plan entry for Commissioners in accordance with state law, one-time option to buy credited service, etc.)
Resolution for Approval by Commissioners
Both Resolutions were approved unanimously.
Read about the pathway to approval of this retirement plan below.
Sean Davis spoke on the changes to the health insurance plan and Bulloch County's decision not to move forward with Glenn Davis & Associates.